In just 5 weeks the 17th annual Write About Jesus workshop will be starting in St Charles, MO 13-16th October. It’s an incredible event and I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been. Here’re my top–10 reasons why anyone serious about Christian songwriting should go.
- Get your songs heard – a great song will always find a home. Publishers are always on the lookout for great song and songwriters. The competition is one of the best ways of getting your songs noticed, even if you don’t win. Think of it as a covert marketing exercise.
- Invest in your craft – founded and organized by multi-Dove Award winning songwriter Sue C Smith, WAJ has over 40 classes for you to choose from, taught by some of the most successful songwriters in Christian music valuable, genre-specific tips and techniques for raising your game and craft as a songwriter.
- Meet “your people” – be encouraged by meeting others who share your passion for writing Christian songs, fellow travellers on the same journey. I remember my first ever WAJ – it was sometimes overwhelming to realise I was not alone. These people have become a second family to me.
- Connect with potential co-writers – In the absence of an event like this it’s difficult to find people who share your heart and motivation for writing Christian songs. So the connections you find with potential co-writers at WAJ are incredibly valuable because they will impact your development as a songwriter and the songs you will write with potential co-writers in the future.
- Chat with industry pros – be inspired by those in the industry – writers, producers, publishers, lawyers, artists, and others who, for one unique weekend freely offer their advice and critique your songs. During the whole weekend they will be available to chat with not just during classes but at mealtimes, in the hallways etc.
- Understand what’s commercial and what’s not – although you can learn a lot from books and online courses there is always a body of knowledge that is so dynamic it has not yet been documented – information that is critical to getting a song cut and used in the way that fulfils your calling as a writer. This is the best forum for finding out this information.
- The premier event for Christian songwriters – now it its 16th year WAJ is recognised as the premier Christian songwriters’ event in the US, unparalleled in the way it serves the Christian songwriting community. It is likely to have a powerful impact on your craft and calling not just for the few days you attend but well beyond as you explore the ideas and resources you will discover at the workshop.
- Renew your sense of purpose – it can be hard work writing Christian songs in a vacuum. At WAJ there is such a sweet sense of God’s leading you are guaranteed to go away with a renewed sense of why you are doing what you’re doing with your writing and how to go about doing it.
- Have fun! – as Christian songwriters, we take our calling very seriously and there’s nothing wrong with that. But knowing you are taking away many pointers to move your craft forward is incredibly rewarding and ultimately great fun.
- THE FRIDAY NIGHT WRITERS-IN-THE ROUND CONCERT – always THE highlight of my year – hear the heart and inspiration behind some of your favorite songs from those who wrote them.
Check out more details at www.writeaboutjesus.com and hopefully see you there!
P.S. while I will be teaching classes at WAJ I will not get any commission from this post – I genuinely believe it is likely to be one of the best investments you can make in your songwriting craft, career and calling.
Sign up to receive Songwriting Tools by email!
I'd love you to join me on this amazing journey!